Stephen Martindale Farnsworth Jr. and Catherine Alvina Manning

 Stephen Martindale Farnsworth Jr., the son of Stephen Martindale Farnsworth Sr.
was born at Keg Creek, Pottawotamie, Iowa at the time of the great Mormon migration
west.  He remembered crossing the plains.  He told of the songs of the Saints and the
troubles they encountered, but through it all the Saints sang their songs of encouragement
and faith so the perilous untamed trials would be bearable for all tomorrows.
 Stephen helped haul granite, at ghe age of 16, to build the Salt Lake Temple and
three years later went into Military service to help fight the Black Hawk Indian War in
Utah.  He was in the Alva A Green Company.  Stephen was a Captain and the men liked
working with him.  He gave orders easily.   Later in life he received a pension for this
service.  His admirable character and excellent judgment was noticed by Brigham Young.
He was called to take cattle down to Phoenix, Arizona and on to Mexico.
 He married his first love, Martha Lugean Jones in the Salt Lake Endowment
House.  She died with the birth of their first child, Martha Lugean.  She was raised by the
Grandparents.  After his wife died, he lost himself in his work.
 He hauled freight of wool, flour and other supplies from Montana to Mexico.
While traveling through Lyman, Wayne County, Utah, he saw such a lush valley, that he
resolved to come back sometime and settle there.  He hauled freight for two years and
received four head of horses and a double bed wagon full of food.  He entered
Government Service carrying the mail from Richfield to Loa in the record time of six
hours and 47 minutes.  The last mail carrier had been killed by the Indians.  Stephen
decided to make friends with the Indians and feed them not fight the, as he had been
counseled by Brigham Young.
 Catherine Manning's parents were Freeman Manning and Catherine Ann Watkins.
Her parents were married on December 30, 1855.  Nine and a half months later on
October 15, 1856 their first child was born in Alpine, Utah. They named her Catherine
Alvina Manning.  She would be the oldest of thirteen children.  They lived in Alpine for
about five years.  Her sister Mary Emeline and brother Freeman William were also born in
Alpine.  Then in about 1860 the family moved to Charleston, Utah where two more
children were born - Sarah and Almon.  Then they moved to Heber City where Robert,
Eliza and Frank or Francis Manning were born.  About 1869, they moved from Heber City
to Provo.  This is where Martha Matilda Manning was born and then died about four
months later. The family then packed up and moved to Richfield, Utah in 1870. Here they
settled down for a few years.  They helped build and settle this community which was at
this time an outpost of civilization and a far cry from Salt Lake City, where the Mormons
had become substaintially settled.  Even at this late date it was necessary for them to form
a guard mount and to post it regularly to protect themselves against the Indians who were
still hostile in this region.  Catherine was about 13 years old when they first moved to
Richfield.    In 1873 Stephen Martindale Farnsworth Jr. and Catherine Alvina Manning
met at a church party in Richfield. Stephen was a big blond, blue eyed Stalwart man.
Catherine was a pretty girl with curly black hair and lovely blue eyes.  When Stephen first
saw her he said, "This is the girl I am going to marry".  She was promised to Bishop
Jensen, but she fell in love with Stephen.  He asked her to marry him.  She wanted to be
married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City.
 They travel together in a wagon to get a recommend form Stephen's old Bishop in
Pleasant Grove.  They stopped at Stephen's two sisters, Caroline Walker and Harriet
Thorn.  The sisters wanted to have a party for them, but Catherine wanted to get to the
Endowment House.  Stephen said,  "we'll be back and then you can give us a party", and
they did go back on their way back to Richfield.  They went to the Bishop's house, but he
had gone to Salt Lake.  They traveled on to the Endowment House.  Here Stephen left
Catherine and went to look for the Bishop on a horse.  He said, "I'll be back".  He found
the Bishop and asked him for a recommend.  The Bishop said, "What kind of a girl do you
have, Steve?"  Stephen replied, "She is a beauty, Bishop, she'll keep me in line.  She wants
to be married in the Endowment House".  The Bishop pulled out a pen and paper and
wrote him a recommend.  Stephen said, "Thanks Bishop".
 Catherine was afraid Stephen wouldn't find the Bishop and get back in time.  Their
names were called and up stepped Stephen.  He had made it in time.  Catherine was real
happy to see him.   He said, "Never fear, I won't let you down".  They were sealed in the
Endowment House in Salt Lake City by Rulen S. Wells on 12 Jan 1874.  He took her back
to Richfield where they lived for a while.
 Two sons were born in Richfield, Sevier, Utah.  Alma Stephen 31 Oct 1874 and
William Martindale, 17 Oct 1875.  Catherine was a very religious person and always went
to church.  Stephen built the first dance hall in Richfield, Utah.  He later sold it and bough
a ranch up on Gooseberry in the hills of Salina, not far from Richfield.  Here he built a
reservoir that still carries the name of Farnsworth.  The years on the ranch were hard
years, working from daylight to after dark gathering the cattle.  They built a summer cabin
way back in the hills.
 Another son was born in Joseph before moving to Gooseberry, John Freeman born
29 May 1877.  Next a girl, Effie Catherine was born 20 APR 1879 at Gooseberry Ranch.
When she was six years old, she was bitten by a snake and died 27 June 1885.  Another
girl, Bertha Ann was born 27 Jan 1881 in Salina where the Mannings, Catherine's parents
lived.  Another boy, Parley Elroy was born 26 Jan 1883 at Joseph, Then another girl,
Mary Gertrude was born at Joseph, 17 June 1885.  Another son, Ozy Vern was born 7
Aug. 1881 at Gooseberry.  He fell in the well and was drowned.  He wasn't even a year
old, which was really sad for them since they had lost their little girl with a snake bite.
Stephen blamed himself because he didn't watch him.  Catherine was sick at the time.
While they lived at Gooseberry Park Berk was born 8 June 1887 and then another boy,
Jessie was born 18 Jul. 1801.
 Then they sold out and with their family and livestock, moved to Giles, Blue
Valley, Wayne County to a ranch close to Hanksville, Utah.  This brought them nothing
but trouble.  The wild bunch from Robbers Roost was stealing their cattle and the floods
took the whole valley every spring while they lived there.  Leo Ernest was born here on 21
Jan 1894 and brought joy and happiness to the family.  Then another dear girl, Flossie
came to bless the family.  She was born 21 Jan 1896.
 The river went on the rampage the following spring and drowned a lot of their
stock.  Leo and Flossie were quite small when they sold the ranch for a large herd of
horses and left the valley.
 They moved to Lyman in 1896 and stayed there three years.  Then with very little
cash, Stephen and Catherine and their family left by wagon, trailing the band of horses.
The older boys and Park driving the horses.  This was a sight one would not often see.  A
family in a wagon, a lead horse with a bell and a milk cow tied to the back of the wagon
for the family milk.
 On their way North, they stopped in Pleasant Grove to see Aunt (Cad) Henson
Caroline Walker and Aunt Harriet (Hattie) Thorne.  There were a lot of lovely fruit trees.
Stephen told his family that sometime they would have all the fruit they wanted.  They had
a nice time visiting with all the Aunts, uncles and cousins, but they were anxious to be on
their way to Idaho.  They sold their horses at Bancroft, Idaho.  They went on to Dempsey,
Idaho, where Stephen rented a farm and raised hay and grain.
 Catherine took the children along the creek banks and picked currents and Sarvis
berries for pies.  they all went to Lava Hot Springs to swim in the warm pool and have
lunch.  The children had happy times there, playing in the grain with their bare feet.
 They sold their crops and traveled on in the covered wagon, learning to spell from
the sacks of flour.  The children remembered the wagon wheels in the sand and rolling
over lava rocks which were many on the way.  The bellowing of the cow for her calf as
she followed behind the wagon.  This was the way they rolled into Moreland, Idaho.
 Stephen and the older boys worked on the railroad from Blackfoot to Mackey and
earned more money to buy a farm Northwest of Moreland  where they built buildings of
rock.  They had to burn sagebrush to clear the land.  Here Stephen and some of the older
boys, who were men, raised grain and hay for several years.  Then they sold the farm and
built a red brick home in Moreland, Idaho, planting shade trees, lawn and fruit trees of all
kinds, plums, apples, pears and berries.  He kept his promise to the children.  His
vegetable garden was very good too.  His onions were the sweetest and nicest anywhere
 Moreland is where the family grew up, except Alma Stephen who had married and
stayed in Utah.  John was 19 when they arrived in Idaho.  Parley was 13 and Park 8.  Jess,
Leo and Flossie were quite young.  They worked hard and after dinner, they sat out on the
porch and sang songs and listened to pioneer stories.  The children always asked their
father and mother to sing "Two Black Crows".
 They would have programs, Leo, Jess and Flossie would sing songs.  They were
the first ones in Moreland to get an organ.  Flossie learned to play the organ.  Father
always wanted music in the home.  Leo and Jess always played harmonicas.
 Catherine would always stand and comb Stephen's hair with a fine tooth comb.
The children ran foot races up and down the street.  One time when the children gathered
around their mother as she was reading "Uncle Toms Cabin" and their father said, "get
back a little ways", and Leo said, "Dad is Jealous".  They all thought that was really funny.
 Catherine took Flossie to Relief Society.  Sometimes she took the boys and they
listened to the lessons and she told them to count to keep them busy.  Some of Stephen's
saying were, "You have to be rough and tough as the elements in order to get along in this
old world.", "Two wrongs never make a right" and "There is beauty all around, when
there's love at home".
 They had plenty of milk and their mother churned butter.  They had a cellar with
rock steps, where they kept their fruits and vegetables and milk.  Leo loved to go down
and skim the milk and eat the cream.  The children would to Tom Furnisses store and
trade eggs for candy.
 Leo and Flossie set the coal oil lamp on top of the folding bed.  It got knocked
over and caught the bedding on fire and could have burned the house down, but Leo
grabbed the bedding and ran out in the snow with them.  Their mother had to patch the
quilts but was thankful to have a home.
 They went to primary in Moreland and religion class.  Sometimes on Friday, they
would have an afternoon dance, but more especially on holidays.  Leo loved to ice skate.
He could really cut figure eights.  They skated on ponds and canals in winter and went
swimming in the summer.  In winter they would go sleigh riding and cut shines all over
town.  Oh, what happy, carefree days they were. They used to play games and hold a rock
between their fingers and play like it was the reins of the horse and have such fun racing
all over town.
 It was here that Leo met Orilla Leavitt.  She came home with his sister Flossie.
She was about 10 and Leo 12.  He had his hair clipped short.  She thought he and Jess
didn't look good with their hair cut short.  As they grew older, they all went to Mutual
together and sang in the choir and went to the children's dances.  Leo had a very good
bass voice.  He loved to sing in the choir.  He also loved to dance and was very good at it.
Orilla had a good soprano voice and sang in the Glee Club and Cantatas.  They had a great
time in those days, skating, singing, sleigh riding and riding horses for recreation.  It didn't
cost any money to have fun in those days.
 Leo was popular because he was a good dancer and had good manners.  At that
time Leo went with Orilla part of the time.  Sometimes she went with Billy England.
Every time Leo would flirt with the girls, she would go with Billy England.  Leo went to
visit Orilla on a horse and whistled, but her folks wouldn't let her go out when he whistled.
He had to come in the house to get her.  Leo took her to a show in Blackfoot.  Her sister
Valeda went with them.  Valeda went with Ambros Richardson.  The team ran away with
the buggy and got tar on Orilla's new dress.  They didn't go to the show that night.
 Years later Stephen and Catherine moved to Delta, Utah.  Stephen died July 24,
1928.  Katherine spent her last few years with her daughter in San Jose, California.  She
died August 6, 1930.