History of Alexander Shaw and Elizabeth Ferguson

Alexander Shaw  born September 18, 18181 in Kilsyth, Scotland
to Robert Shaw and Elizabeth Sword.2
Elizabeth Ferguson   born March 15, 18183 in Cumbernauld, Scotland
to James Ferguson and Jean Fleming.4

Elizabeth married Alexander Shaw on January 28, 18405 in Kilsyth, Sterling, Scotland.
This is where they started their lives together.  Kilsyth is a beautiful place just north of
Glasgow.  You can see the beautiful Ben Lomond peak in the distance as well as all the
farm land in the foreground.  By 1850, they had five children.  Jane, Elizabeth, Christina,
Agnes and James F.  During this ten years they moved around.  They lived in Kilsyth,
Bishop Bridge(Cadder), Miny Mailer(also in Cadder), Garnkirk Cottage(Cadder) and also
the City of Garnkirk, just a few miles out of Glasgow.6  It was here where they were living
when they heard and accepted the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  They were baptized on
February 1, 18517. They were both baptized by David Hutchison in Auchinearn, Lanark,
Scotland (Branch).  They were confirmed the next day.  Alexander was confirmed by
Graham Douglas and Elizabeth by W. Brighton.  Then on July 27,1851 Alexander was
ordained a Deacon by A. Ferguson.8   Also within a few months, both Jane and young
Elizabeth, the two oldest were baptized.  Then on December 6, 1852, they were blessed
with a new baby, Robert.9
 During the next few years, they endured lots of persecution from relatives, old
friends and neighbors.  On October 24,1853,10 Alexander was involved in an accident and
died in Kilsyth.  He was only 35 years old. Then the following year another trauma struck
their home, Christina died on September 28, 1854.11
 They did not have very much, but they did survive.  Jane, the oldest had to go to
work at an early age to help the family budget.  They wanted to go to Zion(Utah), but did
not have the money.  Because they were thrifty they were able to put money into the
emmigration fund.  Finally in 1868, because of their own thrift and also generosity within
the church and the push from the church to help the poor saint of Europe, they were able
to go to Utah.
 This trip started with the long journey to Liverpool, England.  They were given
passage on the packet ship "Constitution".12/13  William Hatten was the Captain of the
ship.  He was easy to get along with and thus made the trip bearable.   He even went out
of his way to help the Saints celebrate July 24th  This was the last sailing ship to bring a
large Mormon emigrant company across the Atlantic.  There were 457 Saints on board.
Elder Harvey H. Cluff was the President of the company.  Some were from Switzerland,
Bavaria, Wurttemberg, the Netherlands and of course the British Isles.  It took 42 days to
cross the Atlantic.  No one died on the journey, but some were sick.  The food wasn't
exactly the best.  Some tell about the "hardtack" they had to eat rather than good old
bread.14  Elizabeth's son especially makes comments.  He was so seasick, that he promised
the Lord if He wouldn't ask him to go across the ocean again, he would do all he could to
further the cause of the gospel and live its laws.  He was 21 years old at this time.  The
records verify that he fulfilled this promise.
 They arrived in New York on August 6, 1868.  The next leg of the journey was by
rail.  Immigrants traveling west set up housekeeping in crowded railroad cars, sometimes
called "Zulu cars".  They travel by rail to Benton, Wyoming.15  In Benton, they were
assigned to Capt. John Gillespie's ox train of 54 wagons.  They left Benton on August
15th.  Many appreciated Elizabeth because she was always cheerful and happy.  They
arrived in Salt Lake on August 24th.16
 They first settled in Coalville.  They lived there eight years.17  During these years
most of her children married.  Agnes married Leaviett Munson November 24, 1868.  Also
the young Elizabeth married Samuel Fletcher on October 31, 1870.  Jane became the
plural wife of John Allan.  Also James F. fell in love with Margaret Robertson. They went
to Salt Lake and were married in the Endowment House.  Elizabeth came with them also.
She was able receive her endowments.  This occurred on September 5,1870.18    This was
a very special occasion.
 In 1876, Elizabeth, James F and his family and of course Robert moved to
Richfield, Utah.  While they were there they lived the United Order.  It was here that
Robert met Flora Jane Smith, a pretty young lady from Springfield, Utah and they were
married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City on December 27, 1877.19 James F.
belonged to the Marshall Band, the Brass Band and the Choir.  He was a good singer and
was always in demand to sing the old scotch songs.
 Then they all moved to Elsinore, Utah and homesteaded a farm just across the
Sevier River from Elsinore.  Later they organized a ward crossed the river.  It was called
Brooklyn.  James F. served as Bishop for eight years.20  Also while there, they helped get
the sugar factory built. Elizabeth had been valiant all her life.  It was now time for her to
see her loved ones on the other side.  This took place on February 8, 1898.21 She was
buried in the Elsinore cemetery.  We shall ever be grateful for her dedication and example.

Compiled and written by John Shaw(with the help of Ruth Castleton), 4589 W. 1650 N.
Ogden, Utah 84404, Phone:  801-731-7674.  John Shaw, son of Ivan Robert Shaw, son of
Robert William Shaw, son of Robert Shaw, son of Alexander Shaw who was the son of
Robert Shaw.  He was the son of James Shaw, son of Robert Shaw, son of William Shaw
who was the son of Robert Shaw (born abt 1635) in Kilsyth, Sterling, Scotland22