Trip diary of Wego Olson, a Tinsley Family History from Randy Bingham and others as noted

Frederick was the last-born child of Martha and John Hurd.  He was born on 7 Oct 1870 in Middleton, Yorkshire, England.  He was 5 and one half years old when he left his motherland so probably had little recollection of those early years and 12 when he went to Snowville with his mom.   He made the long trek to Canada the summer of 1898 with his brother, Albert and sister, Martha Jane, and their families.  He rode a horse all that way to help assist with the loose horses.  The trip went as follows: 

            Fri       15 Jul   from Albert’s place, traveled to horse camp.

            Sat       camped near Shaw Creek Indian Reservation.  Payed 5 cents per head of loose stock.       

            Sun      came within 6 miles of Blackfoot

            Mon    crossed the river below Blackfoot and went up north side within 13 Miles of Eagle Rock

            Tue      camped 3 miles north of Idaho Falls

            Wed    from Eagle Rock to Market Lake

            Thu      stopped at Sand Hole Lake for dinner and camped at Camas Creek for night

            Fri       22 Jul went to Dry Creek or Dubois for dinner and camped at Hole in The Rock

            Sat       stopped at Spencer for noon and then on to Pleasant Valley for night

            Sun      layed over and washed

            Mon    to William's Junction

            Tue      nooned at Monida on Montana line, camped at a cabin near Red Rock

            Wed    nooned at Beaver Head Canyon on to the mouth of the canyon for night

            Thu      on to Dillon for noon and camped 3 miles north for night

            Fri       29 Jul nooned at Point of Rock and camped within 6 miles of Twin Bridges          

            Sat       nooned at Iron Bridge across Beaver head on to Fish Creek for night

            Sun      dinner at Whitehall and then on about 9 miles

            Mon    1 Aug traveled to top of divide between White Hall and Boulder, layed over

            Tue      we went on to Boulder, struck the Great Northern R.R. and nooned 6

                        miles north of Boulder on a small stream before starting the 3 mile

                        climb to top of divide and went down Boulder canyon 6 miles to R.R. trestle and camped

            Wed    to Jefferson City on to Clancy for noon along the R.R. and on to Helena

            Thu      camped at Silver station on Silver Creek

            Fri       5 Aug went down Prickley Pear Canyon, camped on Wolf Creek that night

            Sat       left R. R. for good and on to Way Side House for night

            Sun      to Dearborne for dinner and on to Black Rock Camp

            Mon    layed over to wash

            Tue      over rolling grassy country to Augusta for the night, oats are 1 cent  per pound and eggs are 15 cents

            Wed    within 4 miles of Chouteau for night, plenty of grass

            Thu      Guton County line on the south at Sun River and camped on canal for night

            Fri       12 Aug past Bymum to within 4 miles of Dupuyer for night

            Sat       dinnered at Birch Creek and were within 10 miles of Two Medicine Stream for night

            Sun      on to Blackfoot night camp

            Mon    had dinner at Cut Banks, rough road to within 3 miles of South Milk River

            Tue      passed South Milk on to middle fork to noon and camped at North Fork

            Wed    17 Aug 1898 to customhouse for noon.  Arrived in Cardston about sundown, a journey of about 630 miles.  Averaged 21 miles per day for 30 days and layed off 3 days

Vienna also wrote that her Uncle Fred went with her father and his brother, Albert to get timber for the building of homes for each family that fall.  Having done that he rode his horse back to Snowville. He probably made the trip in fairly good time.  He must have decided that it was time to settle down when he got back home. 

The Cooper family had moved to Snowville the summer of 1897 from Ogden.  Fred took a liking to Mary Cooper’s daughter.  He married Elizabeth Ellen Tinsley on 2 July 1900.  “Lizzie” as she was called also went by the Cooper name, which was the last name of her stepfather Charles.  On church records it lists her parents as, Richard Sunner and Mary Hannah Tinsley.  She was born in Wigan, Lancashire, England on 18 Jan 1877.  She was baptized and confirmed a member of the church in 1887.    John and Elizabeth Tinsley, her grandparents, were first to join the church in 1863.  It is interesting to note the two visitors at their home on 24 Warrington Rd. in Pemberton, Lancashire England at the time the 1881 census was taken.  (Probably missionaries)

John TINSLEY Head   M 42 Blackburn, Lancashire, England   Boatman (Barge)      

Ellen TINSLEY Wife M 38  Aspull, Lancashire, England  (Note that Elizabeth died in 1869]

Jane TINSLEY   Daur   Female   11 Arlington, Lancashire, England Scholar 

Joseph TINSLEY   Son Male 4 Ince, Lancashire, England  (Is this Lizzie’s brother?)

William PROBERT   Visitor   M Male 40   Leominster, Hereford, England              

William R. JONES   Visitor U   Male 23 Salt Lake City Utah, United States.

I found Lizzie with her family at 36 Derby Street, Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire.

Charles COOPER Head M 27 Salop, Shropshire, England Colliery Carpenter 

Mary H. COOPER   Wife   M 24   Lancashire, England                            

Elizabeth E. TINSLEY Daur Female 3  Wigan, Lancashire, England 

Mary Ann COOPER Daur Female 1 Ince, Lancashire, England   [passed away in Jul 1881]



According to a Tinsley Family history, Lizzie’s Uncle Edwin immigrated first in 1879 with other family coming later.  The bulk of the family, including her grandparents, came about 1890.  As for Lizzie’s family the records vary from 1888 to 1891 and it looks as if her dad came later than her mom.  The 1900 census was taken just a few weeks before her marriage to Fred.  I found Lizzie with her family.

The marriage license was dated 27 Jun 1900 in Brigham City, Utah and the ceremony took place in Snowville by J.H. Garbanate.   They lived in Snowville for several years.  This is where their first and only child was born, a daughter, Freeda, on 9 Nov 1906. She was premature and only lived about 4 hours.  She is buried in Snowville Cemetery. 

Fred and Lizzie were both working as servants of Fred Harighter, a widower according to the census taken of Promontory Precinct on 28 Apr 1910.  A church record stated that Fred and Lizzie moved from Snowville 17 July 1915.  They lived in Stone, Idaho until 1942.  I found Lizzie’s mom staying with them in the January 1920 census record taken in Idaho.  


 Dorthy Hurd Merritt said that Fred and Lizzie were both really small. She loved them both and thought her Uncle Fred was a lot of fun.  Another niece, Dora Hurd Cutler, spoke highly of her aunt and uncle.  She used to go stay with them when they lived in Stone.  Lizzie taught her how to peel potatoes.  She did housework for them and really enjoyed her stays and visits there.  She said that Fred had the most beautiful team of horses and took very good care of them.  Dora's husband, Jay Cutler, lived in Snowville and as a teen he remembers his team of horses getting all tangled up.  He wasn't strong enough to manage the horses alone but along came Fred Hurd.  He helped him get the horses straightened out so he could be on his way.  He was grateful for Fred’s timely arrival and help. 

            Though they had no children of their own grow to maturity, they most likely had a good influence upon numerous nieces and nephews who visited and spent time with them.  Fred was quite a tease and full of fun.  But I couldn’t help notice how Fred’s name came up in lending help and support to his brother, William in times of trial.  He strikes me as a kind hearted and generous person.

            They moved back to Snowville about 1942 but in 1951 when health problems began to be too much, Fred and Lizzie moved into a home in Elwood.  Fred passed away on Saturday, 10 Nov 1951, after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage.  He was 81 years of age.  In an obituary published by the Bear River Valley Ledger it stated that he came to America at age 5 and moved to Snowville at age 12, where he was a long time resident.  It stated that his occupation was a farmer and he was also employed by the B.M. Cattle Company.  A nephew, Wilford Hurd, dedicated his gravesite. 

            Lizzie only lived a couple of years more and died on 4 Apr 1953 in Elwood.  Her funeral was held at Snowville and she was buried next to Fred and Freeda in the Snowville Cemetery.  Lyman Martindale dedicated her grave.  




Just a note:  Lizzie’s folks are buried in Snowville Cemetery.  Her brother and his family followed Grandpa Tinsley first to Montpelier, Idaho and then to Boise, Idaho where he raised his family to maturity and lived out his life.